Cream Cheese Chicken Soup
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter. Add the broth, carrots and potatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add the chicken, parsley, salt and pepper; heat through.
- Combine flour and milk until smooth; add to the vegetable mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add cream cheese; cook and stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 272 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 70mg cholesterol, 504mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
May 15, 2020
This is a great soup. It is quite thick, so I add some extra water or broth.
Mar 22, 2020
We make this soup on a regular basis. It's great the way it is, but I use a bit of Italian seasoning when I cook the chicken, and I use olive oil for the chicken, onion and garlic. This is also a great base that can easily be modified for other soups. I skip the potatoes and use gnocchi instead. I found this recipe when looking for a knock off Olive Garden gnocchi soup.....and now we all prefer this one.
Jan 31, 2020
I can see why this is a Contest Winner, this is a great soup - as is. I added a bit of Rosemary to give it a different flavor, but it was great as it was before I did this, I just love Rosemary.
Dec 13, 2019
Best soup ever! I’ve been using this recipe for over 4 years, my children love it!! We skip the potatoes though.
Nov 12, 2019
Had this at my friend's house and came looking for the recipe!
May 10, 2019
this was really good. Hubby loved it too. Made minor changes-used frozen peas/carrots instead of just carrots. I shredded the chicken and I used half/half instead of milk and I added a little rosemary. Next time I might add some corn. This soup was very tasty and creamy.
Feb 14, 2019
So good and creamy, very nutritious and tasty!
Dec 9, 2018
We've made this several times love it! We've added peas, celery and garlic. Even substituted tuna (2 cans of Kirkland albacore) in place of the chicken after the cream cheese. On our list of FAVS!
May 13, 2018
This is very good and very filling. To make it lower carb I omitted the flour and used heavy whipping cream instead. I had green onion so used that and really liked the flavor.
Mar 29, 2018
This was an easy soup to make. We all enjoyed it.