Cream Cheese Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Process: 20 min./batch + freezing
- 2-1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, heat the cream and milk to 175°; stir in sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the eggs. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Whisk in cream cheese until smooth. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer’s directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 272 calories, 16g fat (10g saturated fat), 94mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 6g protein.
Sep 21, 2016
@Morris1128 did you make this again? My advice to make it smooth would be to put it in a blender and give it a good whirl after it is cooled. Then put it in the ice cream maker.
Aug 7, 2015
Excellent flavor but I couldn't get the cream cheese smooth. It was a weird texture like cottage cheese. Any [email protected] I just found this recipe again today and I will give the blender a shot! Thank you!
Jan 10, 2012
I'm from New Orleans and my mother used to make this for us all the time and all of us loved it. I believed she used creole cream cheese but it's even hard to find creole cream cheese in New Orleans anymore. Philadelphia cream cheese is a good substitute.
Oct 10, 2011
I made this ice cream, spooned it into a graham cracker crust and then topped it with strawberry ice cream topping. It was great! I also made ice cream sandwiches using the leftover graham crackers and ice cream. Perfect summer desert!
Jul 9, 2009
This was my first attempt at home made ice cream. Excellent recipe and easy to follow. It didn't last long my family loved it.