Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- GRAHAM CRACKER MIXTURE:
- 2-1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 36 squares)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- ICE CREAM:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant cheesecake or vanilla pudding mix
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Gradually stir in water until smooth. Stir in blueberries and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally. Cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- In a large bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, sugar and cinnamon. Stir in butter. Pat into an ungreased 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° until lightly browned, 10-15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk the ice cream ingredients. Fill ice cream freezer cylinder two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Whisk before adding to ice cream freezer (mixture will have some lumps).
- Crumble the graham cracker mixture. In a large container, layer the ice cream, graham cracker mixture and blueberry sauce 3 times; swirl. Freeze.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 459 calories, 30g fat (18g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 252mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 22, 2020
The graham cracker crust is what makes this a standout. We used strawberries because we had them. Personally, I think more fruit is needed to offset the sweetness of the ice cream and graham cracker. We used two cups of fruit and should have used more. Raspberries would be even better. We made sweet cream ice cream with only condensed milk and cream. It was great. No vanilla. The graham cracker crust recipe makes a lot and could be cut in half if needed. Overall though, this was an excellent dessert. Allow at least six hours of total prep time, including freezing. And you need to assemble this quickly or it will melt.
Jun 17, 2019
This is the best ice cream I've ever made or tasted anywhere. It is more labor intensive but worth it. I made the blueberry mixture the day before and chilled it. I took a shortcut recommended by another reviewer - I used a pre made graham cracker shell. I made an egg wash to which I added some cinnamon. I brushed some of it on the shell and baked it at 375 for 5 minutes, again letting it cool completely, then breaking it up into various sized chunks. I then prepared the rest of the recipe as written and froze it for 2 hours. It was still pretty soft upon serving but not a problem. My family loved it. I'll try it with other fruits,
Jun 28, 2018
Yay! I've made so many flavors of this ice cream! This recipe is fast
May 11, 2018
Is there a way to make this ice cream without an ice cream maker. I do not have one and do not wish to spend money I do not have on another appliance. Has anyone tried making and just freezing the ice cream in freezer and then putting together the whole dessert dish?
Jul 6, 2015
I made this recipe exactly as written, using the cheesecake pudding mix, and I agree with other reviewers who have said that this is the best ice cream they've ever made. The cheesecake flavor was wonderful and the ice cream was so creamy. I used fresh blueberries and thought the consistency (after refrigerating overnight) was perfect. I also agree with other reviewers who recommended using half a recipe of the graham cracker mixture. In fact, the next time, I may buy and break up a pre-made graham cracker crust just to save time and to eliminate heat in the oven in summer.I used a 1 quart ice cream maker (gelataio junior) and the recipe as written made 2 batches; for each, I filled the container 2/3 full. It took about 50 minutes for each batch to freeze firm.The addition of instant pudding mix in the ice cream opens up so many possibilities for additional flavors. I'm envisioning a "banana pudding" ice cream using instant banana pudding and chopped up vanilla wafers. This list goes on!!!!!Thank you for a terrific recipe!
Jun 11, 2015
I have a small Rival 1.5 quart ice cream maker that makes ice cream for 2 (hubby and me). What are your suggestions to size this down for two?
May 30, 2015
Question, can I leave out the tablespoon of lemon juice? Forgot to buy it at the store, got everything else to make the Ice Cream. Can't wait to make it. Thanks.
Jan 12, 2015
Really really good. It's incredibly creamy. Next time I'll use about half the crumb mixture and will thicken the berry sauce with a little more cornstarch so it creates more of a ribbon through the ice cream instead of running all through it. I want to try it with raspberries instead of blueberries for a more intense fruit flavour.
Sep 13, 2014
Incredibly creamy and delicious. I have received about as many compliments for this ice cream as any desert I have ever made.
Jul 9, 2014
Delicious ice cream. Sometimes I just use 10% cream instead of the heavy whipping. Still turns out good and you save a few calories and some fat. I always use the vanilla pudding mix. Everyone loves this!