Slow Cooker Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce
We recently started growing our own rhubarb, and we live in a part of Oregon where strawberries are plentiful. I created this to drizzle over ice cream and filled a crisp with the rest. —Kim Banick, Salem, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb, thawed (about 10 stalks)
- 4 cups fresh strawberries (about 1-1/4 pounds), halved
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first six ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until rhubarb is tender.
- In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into sauce. Cook, covered, on low 30 minutes longer or until thickened. Serve with ice cream.
Editor's NoteIf using frozen rhubarb, measure rhubarb while still frozen, then thaw completely. Drain in a colander, but do not press liquid out.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup sauce (calculated without ice cream): 188 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 27mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (33g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.