Peanut Butter and Jelly Ice Cream
What could be better than peanut butter and jelly ice cream? You'll love the sweet-salty combination. Use your favorite flavor of jelly and switch to crunchy peanut butter if you like extra texture. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup grape jelly or strawberry jelly
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the milk, brown sugar and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat; whisk in peanut butter. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and vanilla. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
- When ice cream is frozen, spoon into a freezer container, layering with jelly; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.