Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches
Store-bought treats can't hold a candle to homemade ice cream sandwiches. This frozen dessert is fantastic. —Teresa Gaetzke, North Freedom, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces dark chocolate candy coating, chopped
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream shortening, peanut butter, 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls; roll in remaining sugar. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern.
- Bake 9-11 minutes or until set (do not overbake). Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Spread a heaping teaspoonful on the bottom of each cookie; place chocolate side up on waxed paper until set.
- To make ice cream sandwiches, place 1/4 cup ice cream on the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies. Wrap in plastic; freeze on a baking sheet overnight.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 389 calories, 20g fat (10g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 223mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Sandwiches in Country Extra July 2007