Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwiches
My grandfather loves these pumpkin-flavored treats. They remind him of a cookie his mother made. They’re fun to eat no matter what your age. —Amber Wahl, Acampo, California
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 3 cups canned pumpkin
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cartons (1-1/2 quarts each) vanilla ice cream, softened if necessary
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin or apple butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, mix pumpkin and pie spice until blended; stir in ice cream. Freeze, covered, until firm enough to scoop.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, pumpkin butter and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, pie spice and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture (dough will be soft). Refrigerate, covered, 30 minutes or until firm enough to shape.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Shape dough into 24 (1-in.) balls; place 4 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten to 1/4-in. thickness with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.
- Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- To assemble, spread a scoop of ice cream on bottom of a cookie. Top with a second cookie, pressing gently to attach. Place on a baking sheet; freeze until firm.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients. Wrap individually for longer storage.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with commercially prepared pumpkin butter.
Nutrition Facts1 ice cream sandwich: 322 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Pumpkin Ice Cream Sandwitches in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.