Candy Corn Ice Cream Sandwiches
Get a head start on these sandwich cookies by shaping and chilling the homemade dough ahead of time. When you're ready, just slice and bake the tricolor treats, then spread with ice cream, assemble and freeze. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Yellow and orange paste food coloring
- 2-1/2 quarts orange sherbet
- Halloween sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Divide dough in half. Tint one portion yellow. Divide remaining dough into two-thirds and one-third portions. Color the larger portion orange; leave smaller portion white.
- Shape each portion of dough into two 8-in. logs. Flatten top and push sides in at a slight angle. Place orange logs on yellow logs; push the sides in at a slight angle. Top with white logs; form a rounded top. Wrap in plastic. Chill for 4 hours or until firm.
- Unwrap and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Scoop 1/3 cup sherbet on the bottom of half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies; dip edges in sprinkles. Wrap in plastic. Freeze for at least 1 hour.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Candy Corn Ice Cream Sandwiches in Ultimate Halloween Bookazine 2014