Oatmeal Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you’re tight on time, you can use store-bought cookies, but I highly recommend making these oatmeal chocolate cookies from scratch. The dessert sandwiches are pure fun. Sometimes I decorate the sides of the sandwiches with colorful jimmies, too. —Diane Halferty, Corpus Christi, Texas
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 10 min. + freezing
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup finely chopped semisweet chocolate
- 3 cups dulce de leche ice cream, softened if necessary
- 1/4 cup brickle toffee bits
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and chocolate.
- Shape dough into twenty 1-1/4-in. balls. Place 2-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets; flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in sugar, smoothing edges if necessary. Bake until golden brown, 10-13 minutes. Transfer from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- To assemble, place about 1/4 cup ice cream on bottom of a cookie; sprinkle with 1 teaspoon toffee bits. Top with a second cookie, pressing gently to flatten ice cream. Place on a baking sheet; freeze overnight or until firm. Repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream. For longer storage, wrap frozen sandwiches individually and return to freezer.
Nutrition Facts1 ice cream sandwich: 475 calories, 26g fat (15g saturated fat), 105mg cholesterol, 296mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as TOFFEE 'N CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM SANDWICHES in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014