Oatmeal Caramel Apple Cookies
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 15 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant caramel pudding mix
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, sugars and pudding mix until light and fluffy. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in applesauce. In another bowl, whisk flour and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in oats and apple.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Cool on pans 3 minutes. Serve warm or remove to wire racks to cool completely. Store in an airtight container. Freeze option: Freeze cookies in freezer containers, separating layers with waxed paper. To use, thaw before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 80 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 30, 2019
These went over very well with my coworkers. Everyone loved the heartiness of the cookie and the flavor. I did substitute butterscotch pudding for caramel since my local grocery store didn't have the caramel.
Oct 29, 2019
Really good and very simple to make! I was concerned about finding the caramel pudding as I had never heard of it, but I found it fairly easily. I've made the recipe twice already and will very likely make it again! I got 28 cookies with my black-handled King Arthur Flour cookie scoop.
Oct 27, 2019
Based on Previous comments (and online research of similar recipes), I did the following: Added: 3/4 tsp. Kosher Salt, 2 tsp. Vanilla, 1.5 tsp. Cinnamon. Used Fuji apple. Ordered Jell-O Caramel Pudding Mix on Amazon. Cooked for 16 minutes. Turned out wonderful! My husband and young boys loved these! Next time, I will swap out the Cinnamon for Apple Pie Spice and give that a shot (saw that variation online as well - note: I needed to order that on Amazon, too. Grocery stores aren't carrying that product much either.)
Oct 22, 2019
Based on previous comments I added 2 tsp cinnamon to boost the flavour, and I mixed some old fashioned oats with quick oats. I used butterscotch pudding as it's the closest thing to caramel. Everyone seemed to like them, in fact some people said they were great. I think next time I'd add toffee bits and slightly decrease the sugar.
Oct 21, 2019
Caramel pudding mix has been discontinued. I made the following adjustments to recipe. Increased sugar to 3/4 cup to make brown sugar, instant pudding would have been the extra sugar needed if it was used. Added 1 teaspoon cinnamon, could have used 1-1/2 teaspoon since the cinnamon didn't stand out. Used 1 10oz bag caramel chips. These turned out really good!!!! Teenage cross country team loved them. Better after they have sat awhile. Used small scooper, placed on parchment paper, and baked 14 minutes. They looked brown due to sugar ratio. Made 5 dozen which is a big plus.
Oct 16, 2019
To bland no flavor maybe add some salt and vanilla next time couldn't taste the Apple at all
Oct 16, 2019
Couldn't find caramel pudding, so I used butterscotch instead. Added about 1 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon. These were ok at best. Would not make again.
Oct 14, 2019
Searched every store in the St. Pete area and couldn't locate any instant caramel pudding. Any suggestions?
Oct 12, 2019
Yes, I too thought they were quite blah. Maybe cinnamon would help. My family didn't like them.
Oct 11, 2019
Unable to find instant Carmel pudding mix in jello/pudding sections of stores Ideas????