Caramel Apple Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned or quick-cooking oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, optional
- 4-1/2 cups coarsely chopped peeled tart apples
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 package (11 ounces) caramels
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add flour, oats, salt and baking soda; mix well. If desired, stir in pecans. Set aside 2 cups. Press remaining oat mixture into an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan.
- For filling, toss apples with flour; spoon over the crust. In a saucepan, melt the caramels and butter over low heat; drizzle over apples. Top with the reserved oat mixture.
- Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 250 calories, 10g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 241mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 3, 2019
After reading the reviews regarding melting the caramels, I substituted a 7.7oz jar of King's Cupboard Organic Caramel Sauce, which is available from Kingarthurflour.com. I ordered 2 jars and found that 1.25 jars were perfect. Will use the rest as ice cream topping. Delicious recipe!
Jul 3, 2017
I made these a lpng time ago and still remember the good caramel apple taste!! Yum!!
Nov 24, 2016
Terrible recipe came out awful. The topping never melted browned. To fix it I ended up pouring brown sugar and melted butter on the top. We'll see if they taste good.
Nov 9, 2016
This is amazing! The next time I make it, I will make it without the caramel sauce as it ended up a little watery except for around the edges where it was chewy. I'll drizzle it with caramel sauce when I serve it. Otherwise it was perfection!
Nov 11, 2015
Just made these for our adult kids' fall birthday party. (They were all born in the fall.) These bars were a big hit. I made them as written but omitted the nuts due to allergies. Unwrapping all the caramels and then worrying about them burning was a pain. Next time I will try warming a jar of caramel ice cream topping and drizzling that over the apples.
May 20, 2012
these are great. We use ice cream on top of each bar or they are toooo rich!
Sep 1, 2008
Eat these hot with a dollop of vanilla ice cream and you will enjoy a little piece of heaven.
Aug 1, 2008
The caramel burned when I went to do something else, so I did not use it. But the bars were very good without it!!! I eat them cold.