Chocolate Caramel Apples
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 2 tablespoons water
- 4 wooden sticks
- 4 large tart apples
- 2 cups chopped pecans or peanuts
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- 1 cup English toffee bits or almond brickle chips
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels and water. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds; stir. Microwave 20-40 seconds longer or until the caramels are melted; stir until smooth.
- Insert wooden sticks into apples; dip apples into the caramel mixture, turning to coat. Coat with nuts; set on waxed paper to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Drizzle over apples. Sprinkle with toffee bits. Place on waxed paper to cool. Cut into wedges to serve.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 723 calories, 43g fat (13g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 294mg sodium, 90g carbohydrate (76g sugars, 8g fiber), 6g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 24, 2009
I didn't make these, my friend did, using Granny Smith apples. I'm not a caramel gal but these were incredible! The tartness of the apple was the perfect foil for all that sweetness.