Monster Caramel Apples
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 8 to 10 medium apples
- 8 to 10 wooden sticks
- 32 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 squares (1 ounce each) white candy coating, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup orange and brown sprinkles
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples; insert a wooden stick into each. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet; chill. Place cookie crumbs in a shallow dish; set aside.
- In a heavy 3-qt. saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, milk and corn syrup; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until mixture reaches 248° (firm-ball stage) on a candy thermometer, about 30-40 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Dip each apple into hot caramel mixture to completely coat, then dip the bottom in cookie crumbs, pressing lightly to adhere. Return to baking sheet to cool.
- In a microwave, melt candy coating; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Drizzle coating over apples. Decorate with sprinkles.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 943 calories, 38g fat (21g saturated fat), 62mg cholesterol, 411mg sodium, 154g carbohydrate (119g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 31, 2014
Ended up tasting ok but coating is hard to work with and even worse to clean up. Tasted like brown sugar instead of caramel. Next time I will try one of the caramel recipes that uses actual caramels.
Oct 25, 2010
Very Very Good!!!
Oct 8, 2010
This is the best recipie EVER!! My Brother &his Wife have a MOM & POP grocery store. They wanted me to make some caramel apples in the store kitchen. These do not last long on the counter. I also dip them in cashews,& honey roasted peanuts.to the store.
Mar 31, 2010
Oct 29, 2009
My family absolutely loved these apples and yes, I would definitely make them again....they're delicious.
Oct 10, 2009
i would dip in crushed pretzels just at the bottom then in milk chocolate
Oct 9, 2009
i would dip in chcolate and sprinkle with cookies or peanuts..or y not both?..nothing better then carmel chocoately nutty apples
Oct 8, 2009
i think i will try this its nice ..easy
Oct 6, 2009
This is a great recipe to make caramel apples. The only change I would make is to use small caramels and some half and half to make it more fluid. I also used some salted, roasted pistachios that I roughly chopped and used that in lieu of the cookies. I personally like the sweet/salt combo. Great recipe.