Ultimate Caramel Apples
I have such a sweet tooth that I’ve been known to make a dessert just to satisfy my craving. One day when I was in the mood for caramel, I came up with these fun treats. —Clarissa Loyd, Mineral Wells, Texas
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Cook: 25 min. + chilling
- 6 medium Red Delicious apples
- 6 wooden pop sticks
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios, chopped, divided
- 3 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper; grease the paper. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a wooden pop stick into each; place on prepared pan. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and water; bring to a boil over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture turns amber. Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted. Gradually add cream, stirring constantly. Return to heat; cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 245°-250° (firm-ball stage). Remove from heat.
- Place 1/4 cup pistachios in a shallow dish. Dip apples into caramel mixture until completely coated; allow excess to drip off. Then dip the bottom of each apple in pistachios. Return to baking sheet; refrigerate 10-15 minutes.
- In a microwave, melt white chocolate; stir until smooth. Transfer to a small heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Drizzle over apples. Repeat with semisweet chocolate. If desired, sprinkle tops with remaining pistachios. Refrigerate until set.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.