Baked Apples in Caramel Cream
"What's better on a cool fall day than baked apples with a yummy sauce?" inquires Karen Ann Bland, Gove, Kansas.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 4 large Rome Beauty apples, cored
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 12 caramels
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Combine brown sugar and water in a 9-in. square baking dish. Peel the top half of each apple; brush with lemon juice.
- Place in the baking dish. Fill each with three caramels. Bake at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until apples are tender, basting every 20 minutes.
- Carefully lift apples, allowing any caramel in centers to drip into pan, and place in individual dessert dishes. Pour sauce into a small saucepan; add cream. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until sauce is smooth and thick. Spoon over apples; serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 345 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Baked Apples in Caramel Cream in Taste of Home October/November 1996
Apr 12, 2010
Very good apples. I used 4 small gala apples and followed the recipe completely. We thought it was best with the apples cut up in a bowl using a spoon to get lots of sauce with each bite. The sauce was really yummy!