Chunky Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 9, 2019
What this cake lacks in a lovely presentation it makes up for in flavor! It was moist
Oct 16, 2018
Good flavor and texture. Followed recommendation to reduce sugar (I did 1 cup white sugar and 1/2 c brown sugar). Also nutmeg flavor seems a little strong (I would reduce and possibly increase cinnamon if necessary). Make sure you choose to use tart apples to get the best flavor.
Oct 4, 2018
The cake was moist and good and the sauce made it even better. I used 1 1/4 cups of sugar and that worked perfectly.
Sep 30, 2018
I decreased the amount of sugar per previous reviewers recommendations to 1 1/4 cup sugar. I didn't spend the times and effort making the sauce, rather some caramel syrup and whipped cream instead. This cake doesn't really need any toppings as it is delicious by itself.
Sep 26, 2018
This is awesome cake...but I only use 3/4 cup of sugar....and that is still plenty sweet...especially with the sauce on top..... Most of the time I don't even use the sauce because the cake is delicious by itself and I only sprinkle confectioners sugar on top just before serving.... :) Easy and delicious!
Dec 19, 2017
Great cake!! I did toss the apples in some butter and cinnamon sugar before adding them to the cake mix.
Oct 6, 2017
While the recipe is simple, the cake was very sweet. I would reduce the sugar to 1 1/4-1 1/2 cups.
Aug 25, 2017
I took this cake to a party this past weekend and it disappeared in a heartbeat -- everyone wanted the recipe! It is moist and delicious and easy to make. I will definitely be baking this again soon!
Aug 13, 2017
Apr 2, 2017
Reduced sugar to 1 1/2 cups and left out cinnamon as I don't care for it. It turned out really well. Loved the butterscotch sauce which was wonderful with the whipped cream. Good compliments were received!