Apple Cocoa Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apples
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Combine water, oil, lemon juice and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Toss apples with sugar and cinnamon; fold into batter. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 202 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Sep 27, 2013
I made a couple changes to the recipe. I increased the sugar to 1 cup, as mentioned by another reviewer, but it was still not sweet. I used 1/4 cup applesauce and 1 Tbsp oil to substitute for the 1/4 cup oil and the cake was very moist. It only took 26 minutes to cook. I didn't like the taste of the cake, but it might have been the cocoa powder I used. It might be really good with cream cheese frosting, but what isn't?
Sep 22, 2010
I tried this recipe with few changes. I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour and reduced the quantity of oil to 1 tablespoon and added 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce instead. The cake cake out moist and soft with all these changes. Reading the previous review I did increase the quantity of sugar to 3/4th of a cup but felt that it could use some more sugar, maybe 1 cup. Other than that I don't have any issues with this recipe. It's a keeper. Thanks for posting it.
Dec 11, 2009
Loved the taste of this. Its not the sweetest so it goes along nicely with some icecream.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.