Apple Cocoa Snack Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped peeled tart apples
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Combine water, oil, lemon juice and vanilla; add to the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Toss apples with sugar and cinnamon; fold into batter. Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cake tests done.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 202 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 272mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 27, 2013
I made a couple changes to the recipe. I increased the sugar to 1 cup, as mentioned by another reviewer, but it was still not sweet. I used 1/4 cup applesauce and 1 Tbsp oil to substitute for the 1/4 cup oil and the cake was very moist. It only took 26 minutes to cook. I didn't like the taste of the cake, but it might have been the cocoa powder I used. It might be really good with cream cheese frosting, but what isn't?
Sep 22, 2010
I tried this recipe with few changes. I used whole wheat pastry flour instead of all purpose flour and reduced the quantity of oil to 1 tablespoon and added 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce instead. The cake cake out moist and soft with all these changes. Reading the previous review I did increase the quantity of sugar to 3/4th of a cup but felt that it could use some more sugar, maybe 1 cup. Other than that I don't have any issues with this recipe. It's a keeper. Thanks for posting it.
Dec 11, 2009
Loved the taste of this. Its not the sweetest so it goes along nicely with some icecream.