Walnut Apple Cake
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 cups chopped peeled tart apple
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Walnut halves, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In a large bowl, combine the four, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to the egg mixture until well blended(batter will be stiff). Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Spread into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the sauce, in a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, flour and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cut cake into squares; serve with warm sauce. Garnish with walnut halves if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 376 calories, 15g fat (3g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (40g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 22, 2018
This cake is moist and delicious. One of my Daughter's favorite cake requests for her Birthday, The Butter sauce is a terrific addition.
Mar 2, 2018
Great recipe to use apples! Tasty cake, even without sauce. Glad directions pointed out that batter is stiff before adding apples. Pours easily after the addition. As a volunteer feild editor with Taste of Home magazine I love recipes that use classic ingredients to provide quick and flavorful food!
May 30, 2015
Big hit at our house. Our neighbors son wants one for his graduating party and one for himself !
Oct 3, 2014
10/3/14 Made this last night for me and hubby- so good - thanks for sharing - only half left and it isn't even 24 hours yet...:)
Dec 26, 2013
Oct 11, 2011
I absolutely love this cake! So moist, and not too sweet or rich- I could eat a whole pan. And the sauce gives it that "milk and cookies" vibe, you have to have one with the other. I shredded the tart apples so there are no surprise chunks :)
Oct 21, 2008
I baked it for 50 min. and it tested done but was gooey. The flavor of the cake was good but didn't care for the sauce.