Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream or evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, nutmeg and cinnamon; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Pour into a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, for caramel sauce, combine brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, about 3 minutes. Serve cake warm or cold with warm caramel sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 436 calories, 21g fat (11g saturated fat), 91mg cholesterol, 335mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 4, 2016
Couldn't find my own old recipe so made this one. Mine is a little heavier but this was very good. I used unsalted butter and therefore should have added a little salt! Will remember to next time.
Nov 20, 2014
batter was very thick...had to spread it out in pan with rubber spatula. But, the cake came out delicious. I used fresh ground nutmeg that I grated. Makes the difference. You will enjoy this apple cake!
Oct 25, 2014
Made this cake for dinner and my husband and I loved it! I didn't make the caramel sauce but made a glaze instead and it was really good. This recipe is a keeper
Oct 19, 2014
Very easy and Yummy recipe but would advise leaving out the egg. I had to make two batches because the egg kept cooking on me before just leaving it out. Caramel sauce came out just as good and thick with out the egg :) A definite keeper!
Oct 9, 2014
Made this cake yesterday. Very tasty. I made it per the recipe with no changes.. Great cake and will make again.
Oct 3, 2014
added 1/2 tsp more cinnamon. Also used half brown sugar and half regular
Oct 26, 2013
This cake is so moist and delicious. We didn't even make the sauce . it was devoured in one day. The batter is very thick, but it was fine. Can't wait to make this again. It was a big hit.
Oct 2, 2013
Sep 27, 2013
What is even better on this cake is Lemon sauce. Just make up box of lemon pudding mix. Great on Apple Cake or Gingerbread.
Sep 27, 2013
Really easy to make, everyone loved it and the caramel sauce goes so good on many things!