Halloween Caramel Apples
A chocolate drizzle sprinkled with crushed candy makes ordinary caramel apples especially yummy—like the fancy ones in some candy shops. Be sure to start with the apples at room temperature so the caramel won’t slip off like it tends to on chilled apples.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 large tart apples, room temperature
- 8 Popsicle sticks
- 3 to 4 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), coarsely crushed
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth and set aside. In another microwave-safe bowl, microwave the caramels and water, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Heat 30-45 seconds longer or until caramels are melted; stir until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside. Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into each; dip into caramel mixture, turning to coat. Place on prepared pan. Drizzle with melted chocolate. Sprinkle with crushed candy bars. Refrigerate until set. Remove from the refrigerator 5 minutes before serving; cut into wedges.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Caramel Apples in Taste of Home October/November 2005