Sweet Spiced Caramel Apples
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour + standing
- 10 medium tart apples
- 10 Popsicle sticks
- 2-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2-3/4 cups white baking chips
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- Wash and dry apples; remove stems. Insert Popsicle sticks into the bottoms of apples. Place on a buttered baking sheet; refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, cream, corn syrup and butter. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage), about 50 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Dip apples into the hot caramel to completely coat. Place on prepared pan; let stand until set.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon; set aside. In a microwave, melt white chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one caramel apple into the warm white chip mixture and immediately sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar. Place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Repeat.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 874 calories, 42g fat (25g saturated fat), 79mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 125g carbohydrate (103g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 28, 2012
This is the BEST recipe ever! I actually drizzle white chocolate on instead of dipping in though. Looks much cooler. Sometimes I sprinkle decorations on them as well for Halloween. But this is a must for all Halloween parties! The caramel is not to sticky either.
Nov 21, 2011
These apples remind me of the ones that can be purchased at high-end candy shops... but they cost a lot less! I use my apple corer/slicer to serve.
Oct 5, 2011
love caramel apples but don't think I can afford over 800 calories for 1 treat....sorry
Oct 4, 2011
I love caramel apples especially these. the cote of bakng chips make it so good
Oct 4, 2011
love this recipe i rate it 5 stars
Oct 4, 2011
Love this recipe it is the best ever. for me i thimk id rate it 4 stars