Spiced Apple Cake with Caramel Icing
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hours + cooling
- 3 cups chopped peeled Gala or Braeburn apples (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- Dash salt
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. tube pan. In a large bowl, toss apples with bourbon.
- In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apple mixture and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- In a small heavy saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar, milk, bourbon and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally; cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Drizzle over warm cake. Cool completely.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nov 29, 2014
I ordered this book and I wanted to put it to use! I prepared this recipe for the first time and it came out very nicely! I DID make adjustments by adding 1 Tbsp. ground Navel orange to the creamed mixture and instead of bourbon, I'd used 1 tsp. rum extract to the chopped peeled apples 1/3 cup cinnamon-sugar mixture. I used pumpkin pie spice since I'd had that available! (I omitted the nuts. I generally do NOT add nuts to my baked goods a large part of the time as a # of people have nut allergies.) I baked the cake In a greased and floured 10" fluted Bundt pan and I baked it just 70 minutes. I DID test the cake with a cake tester to make sure it was completely done. I prepared the icing. I used 1-1/8 tsp. rum extract instead of the bourbon and 2 Tbsp. of 2% milk in the icing and drizzled over the cake and then cooled the cake completely! This recipe worked well for me! delowenstein
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.