Cheesecake with Caramel Apple Topping
Years ago, I decided to dress up my basic cheesecake by adding a topping of caramel apple slices. The rich, sweet-tart dessert is especially popular during fall and winter. —Joan Huggins, Waynesboro, Mississippi
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 45 min. + chilling
Makes8 servings (2 cups topping)
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 medium tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine the cracker crumbs, pecans, butter and brown sugar. Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 9-in. pie plate; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Beat in extracts. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Pour into crust.
- Bake at 325° for 45-50 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight.
- For topping, in a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add apples and lemon juice. Cook and stir for 5-7 minutes or until apples are tender. Add brown sugar and cinnamon; cook 2-3 minutes longer or until brown sugar is dissolved. Cool slightly. Serve with cheesecake.
Originally published as Caramel Apple Glazed Cheesecake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.