Carrot-Spice Cake with Caramel Frosting
Total TimePrep: 45 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 can (8 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, sour cream and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Fold in the carrots, pineapple, coconut, pecans and raisins just until blended. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Add the confectioners' sugar, ice cream topping and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 846 calories, 40g fat (19g saturated fat), 150mg cholesterol, 701mg sodium, 118g carbohydrate (88g sugars, 2g fiber), 8g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 16, 2015
This is the first time I've made this cake. I made it in a 13 X 9 pan didn't hurt the flavor at all. The cake was sooo good. I gave 1/2 to our neighbor and they raved about the cake, and said it was the best carrot cake they had ever tasted and said the frosting was to die for. In the frosting I did make two small changes I used Maple flavoring instead of Vanilla. I think Maple does taste better with cream cheese frosting. The second change was I added a dash of salt to the frosting to bring out the flavor more. I am adding this recipe to my Thanksgiving dinner menu.( This is a cake that can and should be cooked a day or two before serving )
May 20, 2015
Made this for a cake auction (made as per directions, changed nothing) Cake came out great! Cake sold for $100!!!! The gentleman and wife that bought it said it was the BEST they ever had. Of course I didn't get to taste it, but the frosting was delicious. The combination of caramel with the spice cake blended beautifully. I will save that frosting recipe to use on other baked goods as well. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!!!
Apr 15, 2014
This cake is really good, so good my husband (who never gives many opinions about food), has gotten seconds every night! He said last night, "I just have to make sure it is still good"! LOL. I did make this a little differently. I used Pillsbury Sugar-free yellow cake and added cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and allspice to it. Used Sugar-free vanilla pudding, low fat sour cream, and 2 1/2 cups splenda powdered sugar (3/4 cup splenda with 2 T. cornstarch) and 3 1/2 cups sugar, along with sugar-free carmamel topping. The icing was too soft, but tastes delicious - we just scrape it off the sides and onto the cake slices. Didn't add the raisins or coconut, as we don't care for those. It was still very, very good, but a heavy cake.
Mar 20, 2013
This is requested by my sister every Easter! Wonderful cake and easy to make.
Mar 20, 2012
Best carrot cake I have ever had/made. I have made it on special occasions. It seems like too much work to make it often.
Oct 24, 2011
This is a good cake, but it is very high in calories. Very moist and yummy.
Sep 15, 2011
Best carrot cake I've ever made. Love the frosting (and the calories : ) )
Sep 10, 2011
Five stars all the way! This will be my carrot cake recipe from here on out. The frosting is THE BEST cream cheese icing I've ever tasted.
May 23, 2011
Tasted great! Looked like a mess! I need to learn how to layer cakes. Frosting appeared to be thick enough to spread, but slowly slipped down the sides of the cake. Sure am glad I was only serving my family when I made it.
May 4, 2011
This cake is delicious. The icing was the best I've tasted. I later iced an angel food cake with it. Melts in your mouth.