Spice Cake with Frosting
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- SEVEN-MINUTE FROSTING:
- 4 large egg whites
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, cloves and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Pour into two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a heatproof bowl of a stand mixer, whisk egg whites, sugar, water and cream of tartar until blended. Place over simmering water in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisking constantly, heat mixture until a thermometer reads 160°, about 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat; add vanilla. With the whisk attachment of a stand mixer, beat on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Store frosted cake, uncovered, in refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 396 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 173mg sodium, 76g carbohydrate (59g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 20, 2017
Definitely missing some ingredients. Sank badly in the middle. Not enough butter, too. would not recommend.
Nov 12, 2015
Taste was good, but cake sank in the middle. It may need salt to help the leavening. The other cake I made 3 days ago using same baking soda was fine.
Nov 5, 2011
I was looking for a spice cake *without* pumpkin in it and this one tasted just like our family's favorite spice cookies we eat every Autumn! The cake was delicious! I paired it with a pumpkin buttercream frosting and the flavors together were incredible! I'm making this again today as a layer cake instead of as mini cupcakes like I did the first time [http://younghomemakers.blogspot.com/2011/10/mini-autumn-spiced-cupcakes-with.html]. I'm entering it into the Fall Festival bake-off today!
Nov 27, 2010
Very moist and delicious! :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.