Chocolate Spice Layer Cake with Caramel Icing
Mariann James of Ferguson, Missouri created a sweet and salty favorite with her original recipe for chocolate spice cake with caramel icing. The spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar was a perfect addition to her unique cake. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups cake flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons Gustus Vitae spicy chocolate cinnamon cane sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1-1/3 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Caramel popcorn with peanuts, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two well-greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment paper; grease paper. In a microwave, melt chocolate; stir until smooth. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in chocolate. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, spicy chocolate cinnamon sugar, salt, allspice and cloves; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer batter to prepared pans. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, cream and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook and stir 3 minutes. Remove from heat; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and vanilla.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; pour half of the warm icing over the cake. Top with remaining cake layer. Pour remaining icing over top of cake. If desired, top with caramel popcorn.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 603 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 373mg sodium, 92g carbohydrate (71g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Spice Cake with Caramel Icing in Gustus Vitae - Fall 2018