Mint Swirl Fudge Cake
Mint pairs with a silky, mild chocolate flavor for this colorful, beautiful cake that will be the talk of the holiday buffet. —Heidi Kelly, Norwood, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe flavoring syrup or creme de menthe
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring, optional
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Crushed spearmint candies, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 1/2 cup water, cream cheese, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Remove 1-1/2 cups batter to a small bowl; stir in creme de menthe syrup, extract, and if using, food coloring until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons water and cocoa powder until smooth; add to untinted batter. Add melted chocolate. Spoon half of the chocolate batter into prepared pan. Carefully top with green batter; do not swirl. Top with remaining chocolate batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, chocolate and enough water to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over cake; if desired, sprinkle with crushed candies.
Editor’s Note: To remove cake easily, use solid shortening to grease the tube pan.