Mint Swirl Fudge Cake
Mint pairs with a silky, mild chocolate flavor for this colorful, beautiful cake that will be the talk of the holiday buffet. —Heidi Kelly, Norwood, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 cup + 3 tablespoons water, divided
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup creme de menthe flavoring syrup or creme de menthe
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Green food coloring, optional
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- Crushed spearmint candies, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, 1/2 cup water, cream cheese, oil and eggs; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes. Remove 1-1/2 cups batter to a small bowl; stir in creme de menthe syrup, extract, and if using, food coloring until blended.
- In a small bowl, whisk 3 tablespoons water and cocoa powder until smooth; add to untinted batter. Add melted chocolate. Spoon half of the chocolate batter into prepared pan. Carefully top with green batter; do not swirl. Top with remaining chocolate batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, chocolate and enough water to reach a drizzling consistency. Spoon over cake; if desired, sprinkle with crushed candies.
Editor’s Note: To remove cake easily, use solid shortening to grease the tube pan.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 436 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 366mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 3g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as PeppermintSwirl Fudge Nut Cake in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.