Apple-Spice Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 package (16 ounces) angel food cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Reduced-fat whipped topping and/or apple slices, optional
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix and water. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Fold in the applesauce, pecans and pie spice.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on the lowest oven rack at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Garnish with whipped topping and/or apple slices if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 slice (calculated without optional ingredients): 136 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 209mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Mar 1, 2015
Awesome cake. Hubby an I both have a sweet tooth and since this is healthy, I won't feel guilty fixing it. Thanks for the recipe.
Nov 22, 2014
Yummy! Served with whipped cream, but when that was gone tried it with vanilla ice cream and hot caramel sauce. Wonderful, if not quite as healthy.
Oct 14, 2014
Our family and friends love this cake. So easy to make too.
Oct 5, 2014
This is absolutely delicious!!! I used my homemade applesauce, awesome, awesome!!
Oct 2, 2014
Quick and easy to make, turned out really good. Will be making this again.
Sep 25, 2014
Turned out pretty good. Didn't raise as high as I thought it should. Second time I made it, I used "store brand" cake mix and it did not rise at all.
Sep 25, 2014
My husband and I ate this cake up all by ourselves.....it was absolutely delicious!
Sep 18, 2014
This cake sounds like a "winner" to me. I will definitely add this cake to my list of "special" desserts. In the spring you could change things around and add strawberries and chocolate chips and add dollops of chocolate flavored whipped topping or just layer with fresh strawberries on top. There are so many options for each season and/or holiday.
Sep 18, 2014
You have to use the 1 bag mix to use this recipe. Other wise mix as directed
Feb 13, 2013
Cake didn't rise like I expected. Directions on cake mix box had beating egg whites with water 5 minutes before sprinkling flour into beaten egg whites. The next time I think I will follow those directions before folding in the applesauce etc.