Apple Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Frosting
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 4 medium Honeycrisp apples, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line bottoms of two greased 9-in. round baking pans with parchment; grease paper.
- Place apples in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. In a large bowl, beat sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, pie spice, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Transfer to prepared pans. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; remove paper. Cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter, sugars, vanilla and pie spice until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Gently press walnuts into frosting on top of cake. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 574 calories, 33g fat (9g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Nov 13, 2019
Really good!! Made it for a potluck,making it again for my mother’s 80th birthday
Oct 7, 2019
The cake turned out to be very heavy, but was tasty. I love sweet frosting, but you could detect the granules of brown sugar when you ate it.
Sep 19, 2019
I gave this 1 star for the frosting. It was good but the cake was awful! Too much spice, apples and walnuts. My cake came out glued together like a pie and not cakelike like a cake is supposed to be. The flavor was not good at all. I spent hours in the kitchen to produce a cake that was very disappointing. It was also very expensive to make. I made this cake exactly as written AND I will not make this cake again even with adjustments.
Sep 17, 2019
I love making treats and bringing them to work to share. I have an apple tree with an abundance of apples, so I was looking for yummy apple desserts and found this recipe. To make it easier to share, I made cupcakes instead of the cake, and they turned out great! The comments from my co-workers were all amazing! I will definitely be making this again!!!!!
Sep 15, 2019
This was awesome! Just lowered amount of sugar and it was still excellent.
Sep 12, 2019
There are three reviews before mine, but I don't think any of those people actually made the cake and ate it! I made this cake five days ago for my husband and myself. There are only a couple of pieces left and they are still absolutely delicious. There is not too much sugar - it is cake after all! The brown sugar did not make the icing gritty. I don't know if it was the brown sugar or cream cheese, but the cake has been covered in the refrigerator and the frosting is still creamy. Most frostings get a hard shell on them after a few days, but not this one. I made the cake exactly as the recipe instructed - no variations. It is a beautiful and very delicious cake. For personal preference, next time I will make my own pumpkin pie spice blend with a little less nutmeg and probably leave the nuts off the top. They were delicious, but the cake is full of nuts and I just don't need the extra calories. I highly recommend this recipe.
Sep 6, 2019
4 cups of sugar...i dont think so...way too sweet!!
Aug 25, 2019
Seems like a lot of prep time but then the results look too good to waste any time preparing it in my kitchen! Sometimes the extra hours in the crock pot are worth waiting for!! YUM!
Aug 14, 2019
Just a question...will the frosting be gritty with a cup of brown sugar in it??