Scary Hairy Caramel Apples
This is a cute and tasty version of a caramel apple. It's perfect for a Halloween party. —Sally Sibthorpe, Shelby Township, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/2 cups crispy chow mein noodles (about 6 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 10 small apples
- 10 wooden pop sticks
- 10 Nutter Butter cookies, halved crosswise
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels, unwrapped
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- Assorted candies and decorations: Mega and milk chocolate M&M's, black shoestring licorice, miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon. Place noodles in a large bowl. Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with sugar mixture; toss to coat. Spread in a parchment paper-lined 15x10-in. baking pan. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown, stirring once. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Remove and discard stems from apples; insert pop sticks into tops. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. For feet, arrange ten pairs of cookie halves on parchment paper.
- Place caramels and milk in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on high for 3 minutes, stirring once. Cool slightly. Dip each apple in caramel mixture, allowing excess to drip off. Immediately press chow mein noodles over top and back of apple; place apple on a pair of cookies. Decorate as desired.
Originally published as Scary Hairy Things in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.