Caramel Snickerdoodle Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cans (13.4 ounces each) dulce de leche
- 12 ounces white baking chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment, letting ends extend over sides by 1 inch.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Spread onto bottom of prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, mix sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle 2 tablespoons mixture over batter. Bake until edges are light brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Spread dulce de leche over crust. In a small saucepan, combine white baking chocolate, cream and corn syrup; cook and stir over low heat until smooth. Cool slightly. Spread over dulce de leche. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon sugar. Refrigerate, covered, at least 1 hour.
- Lifting with parchment paper, remove from pan. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers.
Test Kitchen Tips
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Nestle La Lechera dulce de leche; look for it in the international foods section. If using Eagle Brand dulce de leche (caramel flavored sauce), thicken according to package directions before using.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 197 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Aug 9, 2019
This recipe looks so awesome! I saw the note at the bottom where you can sub dark chocolate for the white chocolate, which I'd probably do for half the recipe since my family isn't big on too sweet desserts. Would I still sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top if I made the substitution? Thanks! :)
Dec 17, 2017
I have made this multiple times, always comes out perfect! For those of you that are having problems with the La Lechera you have to make sure you are getting the La Lechera Dulce de Leche , you need to read the label carefully. There are two, they sit side by side on the shelf in your Supermarket. One is just La Lechera, this is just simply, sweetened condensed milk. The other is La Lechera Dulce de Leche this is the caramel. There is very little difference in the label! The first time I made it I got home and realized I had the wrong one, so was able to exchange it. Hope this helps those of you who had a milky mess!
Feb 22, 2017
Delicious. I made this for an event and everyone wanted the recipe. I did not have the problem with it setting up that others had noted. It was actually kind of hard to cut and held it's shape well while sitting out for a while being served.
Dec 30, 2015
It was yummy, but embarrassing. I DID use the exact brand of Nestle La Lechera. I read the recipe a million times trying to figure out how it was ever going to congeal. It was in the refrigerator for 24 hours. As soon as you cut the first piece, all the dulce de leche ran everywhere. It was a mess to bite into because the milk was running all over as you tried to eat it as well. I thought maybe using one can next time? But it's still not going to set or harden, but at least there will be less running. Am I doing something wrong? How do you get it to look like the picture or to harden?
Feb 11, 2015
These bars are such a special treat. They're so rich, you only need a couple of bites.
Jan 18, 2015
Everyone loved these at the holiday gatherings!
Dec 22, 2014
Amazing--these were such a hit at our family Christmas dinner. All the flavors of the season and loved by everyone. Surprisingly easy to make. I, too, ended up using white chocolate (vanilla) chips rather than the white chocolate squares--much cheaper and I had it on hand. I will definitely be adding this recipe to my favorite holiday recipes file!
Dec 7, 2014
JoMP it's simular to sweetened condensed milk found in the Hispanic foods section in a can.
Dec 4, 2014
Now this is going to be the best of then ever. I loved your rec. for snickerdoodle cookies. this will be even beter. thanks. scotty
Oct 22, 2014
These were absolutely fantastic! Very rich, but so good! I did use Nestle La Lechera dulce de leche. These are good to make for a group of people because it makes quite a bit. Will make again!