Gooey Chocolate Caramel Bars
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
Makesabout 4-1/2 dozen
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold butter, cubed
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 jar (12 ounces) caramel ice cream topping
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly. Set half aside for topping.
- Press the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and pecans.
- Whisk caramel topping and remaining flour until smooth; drizzle over top. Sprinkle with the reserved crumb mixture. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 156 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 5, 2018
I made these for a neighbor and they were a Huge hit! Delicious and easy to make!
Jun 5, 2018
These bars were delicious. Next time I think I will decrease the chocolate and increase the caramel sauce. Will definitely make it again.
Feb 20, 2018
These are great. Not too much butter if you take the time to cut in properly. Like another reviewer I make my own caramel sauce and outside of that I make this recipe as written. Its a favorite
Nov 14, 2014
Very good, but a little too sweet and rich for me.
Jun 12, 2014
So rich and delicious! I need to try it with ice cream as the description says.
Dec 21, 2012
I made my own salted caramel sauce instead of using store bought. They came out amazing!
Sep 10, 2012
Mmmmmmm... so good! Love the topping! Didn't have enough pecans so mixed with walnuts... delicious!
Feb 19, 2012
Of all the things I've baked this is one of my husband's favorites. I love to make these bars with white chocolate chips instead- I've gotten rave reviews with that recipe! I don't know how many times I've given it to someone!
Mar 17, 2011
I have made this numerous times. I make these for church functions, family gatherings, company & give them as gifts. Everyone that eats them loves them. They are super, super easy. This is one of my husband's favorite treats. He asks for them all the time. They freeze well too.
Nov 11, 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.