Chocolate Salted Caramel Bars
I love to experiment with different recipes and combine classic and new flavors. I've been making this shortbread for over 20 years and finally have found the perfect pairing! I love the new craze, salted caramel, and of course I love dark chocolate, so I layered these two flavors with my favorite shortbread crust. It's melt-in-your-mouth good, and it is quickly becoming a favorite with my family, friends and customers! For even more gooey goodness, drizzle bottled caramel sauce over top. —Lisa Glenn, Sarasota, Florida
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (14 ounces) caramels
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325°. Beat butter, sugars and vanilla until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in flour, mixing well. Press 3 cups of dough onto bottom of a greased 13x9-in. pan. Bake until set, 20-22 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt caramels with cream over low heat until smooth. Pour over crust. Sprinkle with salt, then chocolate chips. Drop remaining dough over top by teaspoonfuls. Bake until light golden brown, 30-35 minutes longer. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 334 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 199mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Salted Caramel Bars in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.