Spice Cake Bars with Salted Caramel Icing
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package spice cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 13x9-in. baking pan. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, butter, milk and egg; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Beat on medium 2 minutes (batter will be thick).
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, milk and butter over medium heat; bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla. Immediately spread icing over cake; sprinkle with salt. Cool completely. Cut into bars. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 208 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 12, 2017
Read this recipe with great interest but very disappointed with the taste and texture. I followed recipe and instructions but the result was not as expected. Actually threw away more than half - something I never do.
Jul 31, 2017
Good! Even better the next day.
Sep 29, 2015
I made this recipe exactly as written, and everyone loved it!
Jun 10, 2015
I made these for book club and everyone loved them! They turned out very moist, and the frosting was heavenly. I stirred the salt directly into the frosting because I didn't want to mess with sprinkling it evenly. This recipe is a keeper.
Mar 25, 2015
We made this and didn't turn it into bars, but rather followed the spice cake recipe. The icing made it so tasty-- but you have to make sure to pour it onto the cake right away because it sets right up! Really good and we'll make them again soon.
Aug 9, 2014
Made this recipe for a friend's birthday celebration. Since my friend likes nuts I added chopped toasted pecans to the icing before icing the cake. Everyone wanted seconds and the recipe. This will be one of my favorite desserts.
Mar 15, 2014
I really like these bars--unlike the other reviewers the ones I made were not dry at all. I baked them until a toothpick came out clean.
Feb 17, 2014
I made these for a work party and they were a big hit. The cake part was a bit dry but I blamed the fact that I baked them for the maximum time of 20 minutes without testing them. The frosting was out of this world, and people really loved the "salted caramel" concept. The flavor combination with the spice cake was delicious. Next time, I would consider baking a regular spice cake, and using the salted caramel frosting on that.
Feb 15, 2014
I made thes bars the other day and like another reviewer stated, they were dry. I did bake them acording to the recipe. I was very dissapointed.... as they looked delicious....but guess I won't be making them again......The icing was very good. only don't cook for 3 min. cut back to 2 min.
Feb 14, 2014
I made these for Valentines day. They came out deliciuos, not dry at all. The batter is very thick and a little difficult to even out in the pan. I also had to bake them for about 25 minutes.