Gingerbread Meringue Bars
The best of both worlds, I combined my grandmother's gingerbread recipe with my aunt's special brown sugar meringue to make these lovable bars. —Eden Dranger, Los Angeles, California
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup molasses
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- In a large bowl, beat butter and molasses until blended. Add egg yolks and egg, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in pumpkin and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, allspice and salt. Gradually add to the molasses mixture. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with marshmallows, pecans and chocolate chips. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove gingerbread from oven; spread with meringue. Bake until meringue is lightly browned, 9-11 minutes longer. Cool completely. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 135 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 31mg cholesterol, 129mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.