Chocolate Chip & Pecan Meringue Bars
I've had recipes for chocolate chip cookies and pecan meringues in my collection for a number of years—and I combined them to make these bars! They're a lovely addition to any holiday cookie tray. —Dawn Lowenstein, Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until brown sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until thick and glossy. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Spread over dough in pan.
- Bake on a lower oven rack until meringue is lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 207 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Chocolate Chip Meringue Bars in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017