Chocolate Chip & Pecan Meringue Bars
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 4 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large bowl, cream butter, 1/2 cup brown sugar and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, milk and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Press into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan.
- With clean beaters, beat egg whites on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add remaining brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until brown sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until thick and glossy. Stir in chocolate chips and pecans. Spread over dough in pan.
- Bake on a lower oven rack until meringue is lightly browned, 25-30 minutes. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Using a serrated knife, cut into bars. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 207 calories, 9g fat (4g saturated fat), 26mg cholesterol, 188mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Nov 19, 2019
My mother has been making these bars for as long as I can remember and I'm over 60 years old. We didn't add nuts back then because nuts weren't something readily available. So these are really nothing new to my world. Just a note: if you happen to make these and transport them in a car, don't put them near a window where they can "heat up" as they will most likely "bake" again. Had it happen to friends on their way to Indiana once. Lesson learned.
Sep 8, 2019
Nice recipe. I will m?ke it :-x Thanks so much