Chocolate Gingerbread Cupcakes
These luscious cupcakes have a touch of semisweet chocolate in the batter and white chocolate in the filling. They melt away fast at our house. —Patricia Harmon, Baden, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup white baking chips, melted and cooled
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup marshmallow creme
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake/cookie mix
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
- Grated semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 375°. Beat first four ingredients until blended; gradually beat in confectioners' sugar. Fold in marshmallow creme. Refrigerate, covered, while preparing cupcakes.
- Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, adding pie spice and ginger before mixing. Stir in melted chocolate.
- Fill prepared cups three-fourths full. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 15-18 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 1-1/2-in. circle, 1 in. deep, in top of each cupcake. Carefully remove cut portion and reserve. Fill each with about 2 tablespoons filling; sprinkle with grated chocolate. Replace tops, pressing down lightly. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar. Refrigerate leftovers.