Chocolate Frosted Peanut Butter Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1-2/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, peanut butter, eggs, water and oil; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Place chocolate chips in a large bowl. In a small saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Pour over chocolate; whisk until smooth. Cool, stirring occasionally, to room temperature. Add butter and confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Frost cupcakes.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 289 calories, 18g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Apr 7, 2017
I think these need a little more peanut butter. They had a very subtle peanut butter taste. I found that there was way too much frosting for these, so I am making chocolate covered bananas. The chocolate sets nicely. I think I will put a dollop of peanut butter in between layers of the batter next time.
Jul 1, 2014
They are yummy
Mar 22, 2014
Super moist and flavorful! Everybody loves these!!!
Jul 9, 2013
These are SO delicious and moist! Plus the peanut butter just adds to the deliciousness of these cupcakes. Everyone loved them!
Jul 1, 2013
I made these for my granddaughters graduation party I used my own frosting because I knew they would be sitting out a while and was concerned with the whip cream in the orginal frosting receipe they were excellent!!
Jun 12, 2013
I made these today, and they are awesome...very moist. I added some chocolate covered Peanut butter Crisp in the batter (like crushed Butterfinger bites) I also added a little more Powdered Sugar to the frosting in order to use a decorative tip. The cake itself is as good as it gets! Thanks for the recipe.
Jun 4, 2013
This recipe is outstanding! The cupcakes were very moiste and the amount of peanut butter was just right. The ganache chocolate icing is awesome too. Thanks so much for sharing :-)
Jun 4, 2013
Jun 3, 2013
I used my own chocolate icing and added a chocolate kiss to the center of this cupcake - was a great success/ will be in my "favorites" recipe box..
Jan 12, 2013
Great recipe!! Easy and delicious. For a more peanut buttery taste, I've added up to a cup of peanut butter and they still had the same moistness and texture. Used homestyle can frosting though..