Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- For filling, in a small mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar until smooth. Beat in egg and 1/2 teaspoon salt until combined. Fold in chocolate chips; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and remaining sugar and salt. In another bowl, whisk the water, oil and vinegar; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups half full with batter. Drop filling by heaping tablespoonfuls into the center of each. Bake at 350° for 24-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large mixing bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, cocoa, butter, milk and vanilla; beat until blended. Frost cupcakes; sprinkle with pecans. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 358 calories, 17g fat (8g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 52g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jul 2, 2017
The icing adds a decadent touch to these moist flavorful cupcakes!! We love them!!
Jul 28, 2016
The cupcakes are delicious! I did not use the frosting as I thought the cupcakes were good without it, as another reviewer said. I will definitely be making these again!
Sep 21, 2015
Moist, tasty, and delicious! My family's favorite. Also good without the frosting. This is a quick go-to desert when my family are coming.
Feb 12, 2015
I made these for a coworker's birthday. I followed the recipe to a T -- and they are probably the BEST cupcakes I've ever had/made. So moist, and once they are totally cooled the filling is delicious and adds the finishing touch to an already delicious treat. I did end up throwing a good amount of frosting away, but I also got 16 cupcakes vs. 20 - I guess they were a little on the big side. But SOOOOO good. I will definitely be making them again for the next special occasion. A coworker described it as decadent. :-)
Aug 31, 2013
I will have to try this one again... the Taste is amazing but they stuck really bad to the cupcake liners. Not sure if anyone else has had issues with this but its not worth icing them if we can't get them out of the wrappers. I want to try this one again with a cake mix and see if that helps
Aug 25, 2013
I brought these in to a church potluck and received rave reviews. These went so fast that everyone didn't get to try one of them! Only thing that I did differently was to not include the pecans on top. They were absolutely scrumptious!
May 12, 2013
Fun and easy recipe to make! Also delicious! Will make again in the future!
Dec 17, 2012
I made this cupcake for my family and iced cookie monster on it. But the chocolate didnt taste that good. The vinegar was to strong or something, but it didnt taste good. And the cream cheese side was ok. But i dont really know if i would make these again.
Sep 3, 2012
I made these cupcakes for a family reunion. They were a hit! Everyone loved them. They were excellent. I will definately make these again.!
Aug 4, 2012
I have made these cupcakes many many times. They are my ABSOLUTE favorites!!! I've made these for people who don't even like chocolate and they even fell in love with them!!! If you are contemplating making these you need to just do it! They are amazing!!!!! :)