Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- MAPLE FROSTING:
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- Dash salt
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in water and molasses. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, nutmeg and allspice; add to the creamed mixture. Beat on low speed until combined. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese, brown sugar and salt until light and fluffy. Beat in maple syrup and vanilla. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Store in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 325 calories, 14g fat (9g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 293mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (34g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 16, 2016
I made this batter and found out my oven wasn't working.something with the pilot light . Anyway, I put the batter in the fridge, can I still use the batter???
Jan 20, 2014
These were a huge hit! The maple frosting really is a nice touch.
Dec 23, 2012
Great cake recipe but the icing wasn't so great! I used a cream cheese icing with it instead and everyone loved it!
Dec 22, 2012
These are the best cupcakes I have ever had.
Dec 9, 2012
I have always hated gingerbread, but my mom told me that she had some gingerbread cupcakes from the grocery store last season and loved them, so I decided to give these a try. I absolutely LOVE these cupcakes! I wish I had doubled the recipe! I only used half the amount of ginger in the recipe because I'm not a fan of ginger and I left out the allspice and nutmeg because I didn't have any. I also omitted the maple from the frosting because I don't like maple flavoring. I topped them with red glitter sprinkles and gingerbread cookies. They look beautiful and taste so delicious!
Jan 4, 2012
easy to make and everyone loved them.i had to make them a bunch of times for a lot of different people
Dec 20, 2011
Yes, very light and moist.
Dec 19, 2011
Easy to make. Very light but with a robust gingerbread flavour. I used soy cream cheese ( Tofutti) and it was just as good and topped it with a bit of ginger jelly and served it on a bed of custard as a dessert. Rave reviews from guests.
Dec 17, 2011
Haven't made these yet, but want to. Can anyone tell me if they are moist?
Dec 11, 2011
Great recipe and they tasted just like homemade gingerbread!!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.