Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- Chocolate frosting and multi-colored sprinkles
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with water and buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Frost cupcakes and decorate with sprinkles.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake (calculated without frosting and decorations): 157 calories, 6g fat (4g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 169mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Aug 10, 2016
Super easy to make and and can't do without my chocolate fix every day.
Apr 16, 2014
Just finished making these and was pleasantly surprised how light and delicious they were. Will definitely keep on file and make again.
Feb 1, 2013
So yummy and easy to make! Not too sweet either.
Jan 5, 2013
love the chocolate so yummy tummy tubs want more
Oct 17, 2012
Mixed reviews concerned me, but this is a great recipe. I think anyone who is disappointed with the chocolate taste might consider the brand of cocoa used.Also, a little bit of strong coffee enhances almost any chocolate recipe.
Aug 30, 2012
So chocolatey. Good with cream cheese frosting:)
Feb 28, 2012
From the picture, I expected this to be a rich chocolate taste. I was a little disappointed because it tastes more like something I could get from a box.
Dec 4, 2011
Kinda disappointing to see a picture of a frosted cupcake but not get the frosting recipe.
Jun 27, 2011
This is the best chocolate cake recipe I've ever made. The cup cakes came out perfectly. They were moist and delicious! I will use this recipe for all my cakes and cupcakes. Thanks!
Apr 25, 2011
took these to potluck.saw several in trashvery moist,but the taste was not real good
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.