Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange zest and vanilla; gradually add orange juice until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips (batter will be thick).
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 273 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 30, 2010
the recipe made 12+ cupcakes for me. i added a lot more orange juice to make the batter thinner. all in all i liked the cupcake, my husband thought it was too dry. after a few days in the fridge the cupcakes tasted better and more moist. also a good recipe for those watching their cholestrol
Aug 31, 2008
I found this to be very dry cup cake. Will not make it again.
Aug 19, 2008
these cupcakes were very simple to make, and they made a huge hit. everyone loved them. I'll definitely make these again.
Aug 13, 2008
The mayo is a substitute for eggs & oil. You can use it when you are making a small amount of corn bread also.
Aug 12, 2008
I believe the mayo is a substitute for eggs, so you might be able to use unsweetened applesauce in place of it. In many baking recipes, I substitute 1/4 cup of applesauce for 1 egg, so if it's 2 eggs, the amount of applesauce would be 1/2 cup, etc. Hope this helps!
Aug 12, 2008
what can I substitute for the mayo