Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, orange zest and vanilla; gradually add orange juice until blended. Stir into dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips (batter will be thick).
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 18-23 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise may not be substituted for regular mayonnaise in this recipe.
Reduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 273 calories, 13g fat (3g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 274mg sodium, 37g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Aug 30, 2010
the recipe made 12+ cupcakes for me. i added a lot more orange juice to make the batter thinner. all in all i liked the cupcake, my husband thought it was too dry. after a few days in the fridge the cupcakes tasted better and more moist. also a good recipe for those watching their cholestrol
Aug 31, 2008
I found this to be very dry cup cake. Will not make it again.
Aug 19, 2008
these cupcakes were very simple to make, and they made a huge hit. everyone loved them. I'll definitely make these again.
Aug 13, 2008
The mayo is a substitute for eggs & oil. You can use it when you are making a small amount of corn bread also.
Aug 12, 2008
I believe the mayo is a substitute for eggs, so you might be able to use unsweetened applesauce in place of it. In many baking recipes, I substitute 1/4 cup of applesauce for 1 egg, so if it's 2 eggs, the amount of applesauce would be 1/2 cup, etc. Hope this helps!
Aug 12, 2008
what can I substitute for the mayo