Chocolate-Coconut Angel Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 6 large egg whites, room temperature
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl. Preheat oven to 350°. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and 1 cup sugar twice.
- Add almond extract, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Gently fold in coconut.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until top appears dry, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; cool completely. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 110 calories, 2g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 24, 2010
The texture of this cupcake was hard to get past. However, my father was over the day I made these and he could just not get enough of them. He loved them!
Sep 22, 2009
Substituting the 1 1/2 cups of sugar in this recipe with a product like Splenda cuts a whopping 55-60 calories off each muffin! Just adjust accordingly.