Chocolate-Coconut Angel Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 6 large egg whites
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 18 muffin cups with cupcake liners. Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder and 1 cup sugar twice.
- Add almond extract, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time. Gently fold in coconut.
- Fill prepared cups two-thirds full. Bake until top appears dry, 30-35 minutes.
- Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks; cool completely. If desired, dust with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 cupcake: 110 calories, 2g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 78mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Sep 24, 2010
The texture of this cupcake was hard to get past. However, my father was over the day I made these and he could just not get enough of them. He loved them!
Sep 22, 2009
Substituting the 1 1/2 cups of sugar in this recipe with a product like Splenda cuts a whopping 55-60 calories off each muffin! Just adjust accordingly.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.