Cinnamon Nut Bars
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flours, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda. In another bowl, combine egg, oil, applesauce and honey. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in walnuts.
- Spread batter into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Combine icing ingredients; spread over warm bars. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 bar: 142 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 44mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Mar 13, 2018
I made these bars yesterday and followed the recipe to the letter with the exception of the icing. I skipped the butter and honey; and added 1 teaspoon more of water. These bars are delicious!!??
Feb 12, 2018
The cinnamon flavor in these bars is just right. I used one cup of all-purpose flour since there was no wheat flour on hand. Also, walnuts were sparse so I used half walnuts and half almonds for the amount of nuts in the recipe. These are very tasty bars.
Jun 23, 2016
Has anyone used all plain flour? I never have whole wheat flour and wonder if I may substitute plain all purpose flour.
Sep 29, 2015
I made these for work everyone loved them. I didn't put the icing on them I sprinkled them with powdered sugar. I will make these again very easy to make and delish!
Jan 17, 2015
Easy and quick. I used unflavored cooking coconut oil. My only suggestion would be to put frosting on when almost completely cool. Will make again.
Jan 9, 2015
Super moist and yummy. I used almonds in my recipe and when I prepared the batter it seemed that there was so little of it to be used in a 13x9 pan. But they ended up looking like a brownie bar size in the pan so perfect.
Jan 5, 2015
Amalet, sugars are a subcategory of the total carbohydrate count of 18 per serving. Our nutritional listing only lists the categories as a whole. Hope that clears up any confusion.
Jan 4, 2015
The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/2 cup of cnfectioners sugar yetyour Nutritional facts, is silent on sugar content ?? How Is that possible . What is going on at Tast of Home ?
Jan 4, 2015
These are very delicious and moist. They were better the next day and reminded me of a cinnamon roll in terms of flavor. We will be making this again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.