Vanilla Meringue Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + standing
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 3 large egg whites
- 1-1/2 teaspoons clear or regular vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Dash salt
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 250°. Add vanilla, cream of tartar and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually add sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form, about 7 minutes.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #32 star tip. Transfer meringue to bag. Pipe 1-1/4-in.-diameter cookies 2 in. apart onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until firm to the touch. Turn off oven (do not open oven door); leave meringues in oven 1 hour. Remove from oven; cool completely on baking sheets. Remove meringues from paper; store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 10 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 5mg sodium, 2g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Apr 2, 2019
Feb 21, 2019
excellent, easy recipe..came out great!! i did sub into half the egg whites some natural no carb sweetener (swerve) so I could have some on my keto diet, too!
Feb 5, 2019
i love them!!!! Really amazing treats!! But if you don't like to surgery and sweet stuff this might not be the recipe for you. I defiantly suggest never have this before bed, but that might just be me.??
Dec 8, 2018
This is my first time making meringue cookies and they turned out PERFECT. They melt in your mouth. I followed the recipe completely except for subbing the tartar for white vinegar. Note: they will be chewy until they are completely cooled. So let them cool before tasting. When warm, they turn to a hard lump in your mouth.
Oct 22, 2018
I'm new. How am I going to know if the cookies are firm to the touch if I can't open the oven door?
May 30, 2018
SO good! I added a tiny bit of coconut extract, which made them kind of buttery! Love it!
May 13, 2018
These are fantastic! I made them yesterday and ate them all, so I made another batch today. This time I used lemon extract instead of vanilla and added a little yellow food coloring. They taste great, but the lemon deflated the meringue a bit, so I didn’t get quite as many. Still turned out crisp and yummy, I may try raspberry next and see where things go.
Apr 30, 2018
I really like this recipe... first of all I make egg custard using 3 egg yolks... this recipe is one of the few which calls for 3 whites..... Today, I find I am out of white sugar... I used brown! GREAT!!
Apr 26, 2018
Love this recipe! I can't count how many times I've made it! I follow the instructions exactly as written, and my cookies always turn out perfectly. I find it doesn't take 7 minutes for stiff peaks to form once I add the sugar, so I just keep an eye on the meringue and stop mixing once stiff peaks form. This is my go-to recipe every time!
Apr 7, 2018
My 2nd attempt at making merinque. This time the mixture was more stable. It came out crispy. Needs a little more room for improvement. They came out a little deflated.