Mocha Meringue Sandwich Cookies
These crisp, chewy cookies can be made any size you choose. They're also great with a variety of fillings—try making them with fruit preserves. —Marie Valdes, Brandon, FL
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + standing Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup chocolate frosting
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place egg whites in a large bowl. In a small bowl sift coffee granules through a fine sieve to break up, pressing with a spoon as needed. Sift together 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, cocoa and coffee.
- Add cream of tartar to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating on high after each addition until sugar is dissolved. Continue beating until stiff glossy peaks form. Fold in coffee mixture.
- Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert a #11 round pastry tip. Add meringue; pipe 1-3/4-in. spirals 1 in. apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Bake meringues until set and dry, 12-15 minutes. Cool completely before removing meringues from paper.
- To assemble, spread about 1-1/2 teaspoons frosting onto the bottom of half of the meringues; cover with remaining meringues. Dust with additional confectioners' sugar.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 76 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 25mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.