Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Place ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a ribbon disk, press dough into 2-1/2-in.-long ribbons on chilled baking sheets. Bake at 375° until edges are lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Dissolve coffee in hot water; add to creamed mixture and mix until smooth. Spread 1 teaspoon filling on the bottom of one cookie; top with another cookie to form a sandwich. Repeat.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off and then in nonpareils. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until set.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 130 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Dec 6, 2010
this is the worst cookies receipe I ever made. I have been making cookies for 40 years and I was very disappointed by this one. First off the dough itself was terrible. Trying to pipe it throught the cookies press was terrible. Finally, when I got some done, they were very brittle and you can't ice them because they break..................Don't try these cookies.
Aug 4, 2009
WOW!! I received SO much admiration when I included these cookies in our gift Christmas cookies boxes. They are delicious and add such a professional touch to your tray. Yes, there is some work involved, but it's easy work and so worth it!Thank you, thank you, Bertha!!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.