Shortbread Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- Place ungreased baking sheets in the refrigerator. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a ribbon disk, press dough into 2-1/2-in.-long ribbons on chilled baking sheets. Bake at 375° until edges are lightly browned, 6-8 minutes. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Dissolve coffee in hot water; add to creamed mixture and mix until smooth. Spread 1 teaspoon filling on the bottom of one cookie; top with another cookie to form a sandwich. Repeat.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip one end of each cookie into chocolate, allowing excess to drip off and then in nonpareils. Place on waxed paper-lined baking sheets until set.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 130 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 55mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 6, 2010
this is the worst cookies receipe I ever made. I have been making cookies for 40 years and I was very disappointed by this one. First off the dough itself was terrible. Trying to pipe it throught the cookies press was terrible. Finally, when I got some done, they were very brittle and you can't ice them because they break..................Don't try these cookies.
Aug 4, 2009
WOW!! I received SO much admiration when I included these cookies in our gift Christmas cookies boxes. They are delicious and add such a professional touch to your tray. Yes, there is some work involved, but it's easy work and so worth it!Thank you, thank you, Bertha!!