Jamaican Chocolate Cookies with Caramel Creme
I made these for an office party cookie contest—and not a crumb was left on the platter! Sweet potatoes are the secret ingredient. Canned sweet potatoes will work, too, if you're short on time. —Noelle Myers, Grand Forks, North Dakota
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + standing Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen sandwich cookies
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) semisweet chocolate chunks, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2/3 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/3 cup dulce de leche
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a microwave, melt 2/3 cup chocolate chunks; stir until smooth. Cool slightly. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in sweet potatoes, cooled chocolate, ginger and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cornstarch, baking cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and 1/4 teaspoon salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Shape dough into 3/4-in. balls; place 2-1/2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten slightly with bottom of a glass dipped in confectioners' sugar. Bake until edges are firm, 8-10 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk cream cheese, dulce de leche, sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, allspice and remaining salt until smooth. Spread filling on bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. For chocolate coating, microwave remaining chocolate chunks; stir until smooth. Dip cookies halfway into chocolate; let stand until set. Store between pieces of waxed paper in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 134 calories, 7g fat (5g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Jamaican Chocolate Cookies with Caramel Creme in Taste of Home December 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.