Molasses Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, sugar and molasses. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, cloves and ginger; add to sugar mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until tops are cracked and edges are set. Cool for 2-3 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 143 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 158mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 2, 2016
I make these often when I want a yummy alternative to the usual chocolate chip, oatmeal or peanut butter cookie recipe. They are easy to make and always turn out perfectly. I am not a fan of the cloves so I lessen the amount while adding a dash of nutmeg. I roll the balls of dough in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar as you do for snickerdoodles, so good. Great all year 'round, but a lovely inclusion to the Christmas cookie tray!
Nov 30, 2015
Delicious chewy cookie! Perfect molasses cookie.
Oct 29, 2015
These are a fantastic cookie!
Mar 10, 2015
What a cookie! We love molasses cookies, ginger snaps and sugar cookies. This is a beautiful partnering of all of them. Out of the oven they were soft and had the refined texture of a soft sugar cookie. A day later they had a little more snappiness of a ginger snap. Great taste. As a volunteer food editor for ToH I followed directions exactly. I was very worried the dough was too soft. However they ended up being perfect!
Dec 15, 2014
These cookies have a perfect balance of gingerbread flavor without being too strong or overpowering.
Mar 23, 2014
These cookies turned out wonderful!! If you like/love the flavor of gingerbread, then you will absolutely love this cookie. I had many compliments on these when I made them and took them to a sporting event.
Sep 20, 2013
Definately will make again
Jun 17, 2012
LOVE these cookies! Perfect every time!
Dec 14, 2010
This were really good,easy to make.I would give it 10 stars if I could. Everyone loved them.
Dec 13, 2010
These cookies came out just like in the photograph. They have the perfect molasses flavor.