Every editorial product is independently selected, though we may be compensated or receive an affiliate commission if you buy something through our links. Ratings and prices are accurate and items are in stock as of time of publication.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup water
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks, molasses and water. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-1/2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For frosting, combine the sugar, egg whites and water in a small heavy saucepan over low heat. With a hand mixer, beat on low speed for 1 minute. Continue beating on low over low heat until frosting reaches 160°, about 8-10 minutes. Pour into the bowl of a heavy-duty stand mixer; add confectioners' sugar. Beat on high until frosting forms stiff peaks, about 7 minutes. Frost cookies. Let stand until dry.
2 each: 154 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 24mg cholesterol, 132mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.